What is a college decision?
School events and activities recognize high school seniors for their college decision and encourage the college aspirations of underclassmen. Activities and events are held on or around May 1 to coincide with the date most seniors must inform a college of their plans to enroll.
Why is celebrating a decision important?
Celebrating students’ postsecondary plans holds them accountable to their commitment, recognizes their hard work, provides them with a sense of pride for their accomplishments, and spreads enthusiasm across the community and school district for future students to begin preparing for their postsecondary plans.
How does Course to College support college decisions?
This is a very exciting time of the year for students, staff, and families. Iowa College Aid participates in events and activities throughout the state, as available. Schools participating in the Course to College program receive supportive resources and materials through a Shared Resource Folder and technical assistance from Iowa College Aid for to best use these resources. Resources for decision celebrations include weekly collaboration calls with other schools, “I Decided” student signs, student survey data reports, event planning templates, and more.
Iowa Decision Day Results from 2018-19
- 54 Iowa high schools hosted a decision day event or activity
- 8,100 Iowa high school seniors participated in a decision day event or activity
- 361 Iowa high school seniors completed an end-of-year survey
Student Survey Results from 2018-19
- 50% of students responded that participating in a decision day event or activity made them feel inspired to continue their education
- 59% of students claim that participating in a decision day event or activity motivated them to commit to a postsecondary plan
- 59% of students claim that participating in a decision day event or activity provided them with a sense of accomplishment
- 38% of students committed to attending a community college
- 34% of students committed to attending a public 4 year university
End of Year Survey Results
Each year, high school counselors distribute an End of Year survey developed by Iowa College Aid to understand what high school seniors plan to do after graduation. This dashboard provides the state-level results of that survey.
Please email us for more information.