Iowa College Aid announces new college access grants
Iowa College Aid today announced a new round of Local College Access Network (LCAN) grants, awarding $280,000 to six Iowa communities. LCANs begin with Planning Grants (up to $20,000 a year for up to two years) and then are eligible to apply for Launch Grants (up to $60,000 a year for up to two years), Implementation Grants (up to $40,000 a year for up to two years) and Continuous Improvement Grants (up to $20,000 a year for up to three years).
These six communities received new grants beginning July 1:
- Estherville (Estherville CAN)–Implementation Grant
- Franklin County (Mission Possible)–Implementation Grant
- Mason City (MCCAN)–Launch Grant
- Muscatine (AIM)–Launch Grant
- Ottumwa (C3: Cradle, College Career)–Implementation Grant
- Sioux City (Sioux City CAN)–Implementation Grant
The goal of LCANs is to increase college access, enrollment and completion using a framework known as “Collective Impact.” Iowa College Aid provides grant money, training, technical assistance and professional development. Each LCAN forms a cross-sector leadership team that identifies barriers to college access in their community, as well as local assets and resources that should be leveraged. Teams then develop community-specific goals to increase college access.
“These efforts increase the chances of success for both individual Iowans and Iowa communities,” said Karen Misjak, executive director of Iowa College Aid. “LCANs align community leaders and resources to support individuals who want to continue education after high school, making them more employable throughout their lives. LCANs also give local employers a seat at the table, ensuring they will have the trained workforce they need.” These four communities will be eligible to apply for a new grant phase that begins in January:
- Bremer County (Bremer County CAN)–Launch Grant
- Des Moines (Iowa Safe Schools, Queer CAN)–Planning Grant
- Dubuque (Dubuque CAN)–Launch Grant Quad Cities (Q2030)–Launch Grant
To date, Iowa College Aid has awarded a total of $1,086,708 in LCAN grants. Find more information about Iowa’s LCANs on the Iowa College Aid website.