GEAR UP Iowa Scholarship (Class of 2014 Cohort)
The GEAR UP Iowa Scholarship provides awards of up to $2,600 per year to students who are part of the GEAR UP Iowa state-wide cohort. Scholarships are sent directly to the college/university that the student is attending and can be used to pay for tuition/fees, room/board, books/supplies, and personal/living expenses while in college. GEAR UP Iowa Scholarship brochure (pdf)/ GEAR UP Iowa Scholarship FAQs (pdf)
To receive Scholarship funds, each student must:
- Have a high school diploma, high school equivalency diploma (HiSET/GED), or home school diploma
- Be a GEAR UP Iowa Program participant, as certified by GEAR UP Iowa staff at Iowa College Aid
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen as defined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Be under the age of 22 upon first receipt of Scholarship funds
- Enroll in at least 3 semester hours (or trimester or quarter equivalent) in a Title IV eligible undergraduate program of study* at a Title IV college/university** in Iowa or out-of-state
- Complete a 2016-17 FAFSA and in each subsequent year
- Meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress policies of their college/university to receive the Scholarship in subsequent years
*What is a Title IV eligible undergraduate program?
A Title IV undergraduate program is one that is eligible to receive Federal Student Aid funds. You should contact the college's financial aid office and speak with a financial aid advisor to determine if the program you plan to enroll in is a Title IV program.
** What is a Title IV college/university
A Title IV college/university is one that participates in Federal Student Aid programs. You can search for Title IV institutions on the Federal Student Aid website by entering information about the college (state, city, and/or name.) If your college appears in the Search Results, then it’s a Title IV college and you can receive GEAR UP Scholarship funds while you’re enrolled.
How many years can a student receive the GEAR UP Iowa Scholarship?
The GEAR UP Iowa Scholarship can be renewed in subsequent years to fund undergraduate enrollment as long as:
- funding allows
- student is meeting their college/university Satisfactory Academic Progress policies
- student completes a FAFSA annually
Students who attend during the Summer may receive additional funding beyond the annual maximum. Summer awards will be one-half of the academic year maximum grant award, or $1,300 for students enrolled on a full-time basis. If a student receives a full-time GEAR UP Scholarship through the academic year and summer, the total GEAR UP Scholarship award received for the year cannot exceed $3,900. Summer payments will be based on credit hour enrollment. Students must be attending the degree seeking institution or have a consortium agreement with that institution (if attending elsewhere) to receive funding for the Summer term.
If you are resident of the state of Iowa, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA results will be used to identify you as a GEAR UP Iowa applicant. Whether you are attending a college in Iowa or a college outside of Iowa, if Iowa is your legal state of residence, the FAFSA is the only required application for the GEAR UP Iowa Scholarship.
If you are a resident of a state other than Iowa, you must complete the paper GEAR UP Iowa Scholarship application. This application is strictly for students whose legal residence is a state other than Iowa.