This program, as the name implies, is intended to cover any remaining gap between federal and state grants/scholarships and tuition and qualified fees. Credentials include postsecondary certificates, diplomas and associate degrees.
The Last-Dollar Scholarship is available to:
- Students who recently completed an Iowa high school diploma, a homeschool program, or high school equivalency diploma, OR students (age 20 and older)
- Enroll at least part-time in an eligible program of study
- Apply for all other available state and federal grants and scholarships
- Meet ongoing requirements
- Have an Expected Family Contribution at or below 20,000
Eligible institutions are Iowa community colleges or accredited private colleges in Iowa that offer qualified programs of study and that agree to provide student services (including orientation and academic and career advising) and to facilitate the assignment of a volunteer mentor if a student requests one.
Because this list is based on job demand, it might change from year to year. Students whose programs are removed from the list will still be eligible for the Last-Dollar Scholarship until they complete their credentials or leave school, as long as they meet all other eligibility criteria.
Directory of Eligible Programs
File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
October 1, 2022: 2023-24 FAFSA is available
July 15, 2023: FAFSA deadline for 2023-2024 School Year