Health Professional Recruitment Program
The Health Professional Recruitment Program (HPRP) was established to increase the number of athletic trainers, occupational therapists, physicians, physician assistants, podiatrists and physical therapists practicing in high-need communities in Iowa. The program provides loan repayment benefits to individuals that practice in specified locations for up to four years. The maximum award for this program is $50,000, which is paid in four increments toward outstanding Federal Stafford Loan and Grad PLUS Loan balances at the end of each 12 month employment period. A recipient who refinances an eligible federal loan to a private education loan after signing a contract may continue to receive loan repayment benefits as long as the recipient contacts Iowa College Aid and provides required documentation.
- Graduate from an eligible Iowa college/university.
- Be employed as an athletic trainer, occupational therapist, physician, physician assistant, podiatrist, or physical therapist in a high-need community in Iowa that agrees to provide a dollar-for-dollar loan repayment match to state funds.
- Practice in a high-need community for four years.
The maximum annual award is $12,500 for up to four consecutive years. The maximum amount a recipient can receive over the four-year period is $50,000. Award amounts may be reduced if the community matching funds are less than the annual maximum award. All award funds must be applied to outstanding student loan balances.
An eligible high-need community is:
- An Iowa city with a population less than 26,000 located more than 20 miles from a city with a population of at least 50,000 (see map below).
All applications received on or before the March 31 deadline will be considered for funding. To the extent possible, an equal number of new athletic trainers, occupational therapists, physicians, physician assistants, podiatrists, and physical therapists, will be offered awards based on eligibility of funds.
In the event that funding is insufficient to award all eligible applicants within an occupation category, criteria for selection of eligible applicants with each occupation category will be prioritized as follows:
- Most recent graduation year
- Application date
How to Apply:
The application will be available online beginning January 1 and applications must be submitted by March 31 to guarantee consideration.