The Health Care Award Program provides financial awards to nurse educators teaching full-time at eligible Iowa colleges and universities, as well as applicants who agree to practice as registered nurses, advanced registered nurse practitioners, or physician assistants in service commitment areas for five consecutive years, and who meet the requirements of the program.
- student in their final year of a degree program leading to a license to practice as an advanced registered nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or registered nurse and who agrees to practice in a service commitment area; or,
- Licensed advanced registered nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or registered nurse who agrees to practice in a service commitment area; or,
- Nurse educator at an eligible Iowa college/university for five consecutive years; or a licensed advanced registered nurse practitioner or registered nurse who also agrees to practice part-time as a nurse educator for five consecutive years (hours worked as a nurse educator and licensed advanced registered nurse practitioner or registered nurse must equate to full-time employment over the course of the year);
- Complete and file an application for the program by the March 31 deadline;
- Annually complete and return an affidavit of practice verifying full-time employment, as defined by the employer, in a service commitment area or at an eligible Iowa college/university (for nurse educators) during the entire year
*A service commitment area is defined as a city in Iowa with a population of less than 26,000 that is located more than 20 miles from a city with a population of 50,000 or more.
Award Amount & Payment Options
The maximum annual award shall be $6,000 per year for up to five consecutive years of full-time employment.
The award will be disbursed as a lump-sum payment to you. Payments issued to individuals are considered taxable income and the State of Iowa will issue a 1099 MISC to you for tax filing purposes.*
Details on the taxability of award program benefits can be found on the IRS website.
All applications received on or before the March 31 deadline will be considered for funding. To the extent possible, an equal number of new advanced registered nurse practitioners, nurse educators, physician assistants, and registered nurses will be offered awards based on availability of funds.
Further priority criteria may be published at a future date.
How to Apply
The application for the 2022-23 academic year will open on January 1, 2023 and applications must be submitted by March 31 to guarantee consideration.
*Applicants may receive award program benefits for no more than five consecutive years. Recipients who fail to submit a completed program application before the established deadline will not be considered for future awards.
Renewal applicants of the Health Care Loan Repayment Program (HCLR) will receive specific instructions on how to apply for the Health Care Award Program.
Recipients of the Health Care Award Program are not eligible to participate in the Rural Iowa Physician Assistant and Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner Loan Repayment Program or the Health Professional Recruitment Program (HPRP).