Education and Training Voucher (ETV)
Increased Awards for 2020-21 and 2021-22 School Years
The federal Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 increased funding for the Education and Training Voucher. The maximum ETV award is usually $5,000 a year. In the coming year, however, that amount will be considerably higher:
- Students who already qualified for ETV in the 2020-21 academic year could be eligible for an additional $2,500 for summer classes, even if they previously reached the $5,000 maximum.
- Students who will attend college in 2021-22 could be eligible for up to $12,000 for the year.
The Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Program usually provides awards of up to $5,000 per year to students who age out of foster care and students who are adopted after age 16. Grant awards are sent directly to the college or university and can be used to pay for tuition/fees, room/board, book/supplies and personal/living expenses.
ETV funds can be used during the summer if the student has not received the entire $5,000 during the prior academic year. Priority for funding will be given to previous recipients then new undergraduate applicants. If funding is available after July 1 of each year, graduate level applicants may be awarded in date-received order. If a student is eligible but no funding is available, he or she will be put on a waitlist. If money becomes available, funds will be awarded by date of completed application within priority group(s). Students can receive ETV funding for five academic years or until the student is 26, whichever comes first.
Students up to age 26 who have:
- Exited foster care* supervised by the Department of Human Services/Juvenile Court Services within 30 days of their 18th birthday or later
- Were legally adopted or entered the Subsidized Guardianship Program from Iowa foster care at the age of 16 or older.
Resources for Foster Youth
Students applying for ETV and who will be attending an out-of-state college, must have the college:
- Complete a W-9 and return to the address or email below
- Complete an ETV Enrollment Verification (pdf) each term
Iowa College Aid
475 SW Fifth St., Suite D
Des Moines, IA 50309
P: 877-272-4456 Option 3
October 1, 2019- December 1, 2020: 2020-21 Iowa Financial Aid Application will be available
October 1, 2020 – December 1, 2021: 2021-22 Iowa Financial Aid Application will be available